Azure Sentinel is a cloud SIEM and SOAR. It is therefore used for the supervision of a customer environment, from which it...
Windows 10 November Update and upgrade optionsLukas Beran
On the 12th of November has been released update of Windows 10 called Fall Update or November Update. Official name is 1511 (year 2015, month 11) and the build has a number 10586. This update has been also released for Xbox One and should be release for phones.
This update brings some important news and of course fixes for some problems.
Windows 10 November Update news
- Four columns of midsize tiles or two columns of the largest tiles in Start menu.
- Changes of a lot of context menus to fit more the new Windows 10 environment.
- In the tablet mode you can switch applications in Task View, switch applications or close applications by swiping them down.
- Cortana now recognizes handwriting.
- Cortana now alerts you of missed call on your phone. You can also send a quick reply to missed call from your computer.
- New colorful title bar of desktop windows.
- You can now adjust a size of pinned windows on your desktop.
- You can now install applications to other type of storage (SD karty apod.).
- In settings is possible to set a default printer to last used printer.
- In settings is possible to automatically change the time zone based on your location.
- In update and security settings is possible to send location of your device and find the device when it’s lost or stolen.
- Previews of tabs in Microsoft Edge.
- Sync of passwords, favorites and reading list between your Windows 10 devices (including phones).
- Microsoft Edge now can project screen to Miracast and DLNA devices on your network.
- New applications Messaging, Phone and Skype.
- Nested virtualization, which offers to run Hyper-V in Hyper-V.
- Now you can activate your Windows 10 using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key. You don’t need to update your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key to Windows 10 key first, now you can directly install Windows 10 and activate it using your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key.
And a lot of more.
Differences between upgrade from installation media and Windows Update
November Update is delivered via Windows Update. This update is a typical system upgrade with the whole upgrade process.
This update is delivered in waves, so it’s possible that you don’t see this update yet. But all users can download installation media using Windows 10 Download Tool or you can use this tool to enforce the update. But what are the differences between using this tool and Windows Update?
Practically there is no difference. The process is the same. When you update from Windows Update, on your system disk is created folder $WINDOWS.~BT which has the same content as has installation image. The only difference is that the Windows Update process is more automated. User does not need to do anything, just confirms the update and everything is done on the background automatically. When you are updating from an ISO, you need to go through few simple steps.
But all data are preserved in both upgrade options. Everything is preserved, applications, data and settings remain untouched.
In both scenarios is on the system drive created folder Windows.old which is used for a rollback. But remember that you can rollback only to the previous version of Windows, so if you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then to November Upodate, you can rollback to Windows 10 (July version), but not to Windows 7.